This post is also available in: English

Sometimes, it’s very difficult to go against the assessment of an expert. This is bad enough when you’re dealing with a doctor or your employer, but when there’s a police officer involved, it becomes even more intimidating. You can contest a police car accident report if it is improperly written and, if you’ve retained an attorney, it’s much easier than trying to take care of the matter yourself. Here are the basics, however.

Understand What You’re Up Against

There’s going to be a world of difference between trying to correct some types of information compared to correcting others. More specifically, it’s going to be harder to correct errors regarding the officer’s assessment of who was at fault, for instance, than it would be to correct information about what color one of the cars was. This is something you’ll have to take into account.


First Step

The first thing you’ll want to do is to contact the local police department. Different policies exist for different departments, so you’ll have to figure out what applies where you had an accident. You’ll want to get a copy of the report so that you can review it.


If you find mistakes, you’ll have to present evidence that there is a mistake in the report before the police are going to be willing to change it. Before you get too angry at them, remember that they probably deal with people all day who want to change what an officer wrote down about a given situation, so they’re going to be particular about what circumstances constitute a legitimate reason to do so.


An Alabama car accidents attorney will be able to conduct their own investigation in to the accident and this may be of some help. If you have an attorney working for you, you have the advantage of being able to present the police with empirical evidence of what happened rather than your own recollections. Here are some things to consider when you’re telling the police that they’ve got it wrong:


  • People’s memories—including yours—do not work nearly as well as they like to think
  • People oftentimes have problems remembering after traumatic events
  • The police know you probably have a vested interest in changing the report


The police will be aware of all of this, so they’re going to take what you say with some suspicion. This is really why it’s always best to have an attorney handle this for you.


Why You Should

The police report will be used as evidence by the defendant’s counsel, in all likelihood, so you should have erroneous information changed.

Staff (65 Posts)